Filed under Announcements, News

Opportunity to host Australian foreign exchange students

Karen Beckstead | Coordinator of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program

December 14, 2012

Opportunity to make DP Shine! Make a friend for life!

I’m excited to let you know about an opportunity we have to do some great things here at DP. In January, for the third year in a row, a group of high school students from Australia will be visiting Santa Barbara. We are looking for host families to accommodate them for two weekends. 

This is only available to students in the 11th and 12th grades. A short ‘application’ can be filled out to introduce yourself and give details about your family (Do you have a cat or a dog?  Do you like to surf?  What are your hobbies? Do you have brothers or sisters?). Australian students with similar interests will be matched to your profile.

Applications are due this Friday, November 30, and an informational meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 19 at 6:30 PM in H-17.

The Australian students will arrive at DP by bus the afternoon of Friday, January 4. They will spend the weekend of January 5 & 6 with host families in their homes.

They will take a field trip during the day on Monday January 7, and leave for the Grand Canyon on Tuesday morning, January 8.

On Thursday after school, January 10, they will return to DP and on Friday, January 11, they will attend school with their host to experience an American school day.

They will again stay with their host families for the weekend of January 12 and 13, departing for Disneyland the morning of Monday, Jan. 14.

Hosting students will not only benefit from the international cultural exchange, but can receive community service hours.  Additionally, the Australian organization, “Joeys 2USA” will make a donation to the school club or organization of your choice (i.e., PTSA, Yearbook, DPTV, etc.).

Several of last year’s families are again hosting this year!  This is truly a marvelous, memorable opportunity to share our beautiful city, provide community outreach and an unforgettable learning experience through this mutual exchange. 

Interested students and families should contact Mrs. Karen Beckstead, Coordinator of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, for applications and more details at

1 Comment

One Response to “Opportunity to host Australian foreign exchange students”

1. Jeremy Zaida on December 15th, 2012 8:28 am

As someone who has hosted an Aussie, I can guarantee that it is worth it in every way. I still consider many of those students my good friends and keep in contact with them. Plus, you become inordinately popular when you have an Aussie by your side; their accents are irresistible.