Filed under News

A Midsummer Night’s Dream set for Opening Night

By Bethany Laskin | Staff Writer

November 13, 2012

The Dos Pueblos Theater Company will be performing its rendition of Shakespeare’s classic A Midsummer Night’s Dream, opening on November 15 at Elings Performing Arts Center.

This will be the first year that the Dos Pueblos Theater has attempted to tackle a Shakespearean play, an especially challenging feat because of the unusual Old English language which the actors have had to perfect.

Shakespearean plays tend to be difficult to read and even more so to memorize and perform in front of an audience. Senior Antonio DeNunzio thinks that it’s “pretty difficult because there are lots of words [he’s] never heard before.”

But despite Denunzio’s own slight uneasiness, director Clark Sayre is confident in the abilities of each student. “I wouldn’t have chosen it if I didn’t think they could pull it off,” he stated.

The starring roles will be fulfilled by Blake Benlan, Rose White, Sabrina Wagner, William Fredrickson, Aliza Walton, Xeni Tziouvaras, Antonio DeNunzio, Miranda Ruth, and Cole Peterson.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream, famous for its numerous and complicated love triangles between the characters, will also test the physical acting ability of the leads to properly convey the plot.

Sayre has high expectations for the cast and knows they will “have to work extra hard to make everything very clear.”

Shakespeare has been performed by every sort of theater company around the world, but in true Charger style, DP has found a way to truly make it their own by changing the general theme of the play.

For this rendition, directors Clark Sayre and Gioia Marchese decided to add a “steam-punk” element to the costumes and presentation for a more original feel and to appeal more to high school students.

“It’s definitely going to be a twist on the original kind of fashion sense,” Costume Crew leader Alyssa Lawson remarked.

Lawson says that even though it’s been difficult to reinvent the standard costuming, she has enjoyed the opportunity to incorporate more originality and imagination into the show and believes it will be exciting for the audience to experience.

Sayre agrees with Lawson, saying his ultimate goal is to have the audience “experience Shakespeare like they have never experienced it before.”

And judging from DP’s previous plays, they most certainly will.

Last spring, the DPTC entranced the audience with their production of Tarzan, and they are sure to repeat the experience for audiences this fall with A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Showtimes are November 15, 16, and 17 at 7 p.m., as well as a free understudy performance at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Tickets cost $10 for students and senior citizens, and $12 for general admission. Tickets can be purchased at the box office or online.

3 Responses to “A Midsummer Night’s Dream set for Opening Night”

1. Cciara Mosella on November 13th, 2012 7:58 pm

Manny Unzueta is an understudy…the main guy is actually William Fredrickson.

Bethany Laskin Reply:

Sorry about the mix-up Cciara, thank you for pointing it out!

2. Patricio Rodriguez on November 19th, 2012 8:32 am

All the music is original. We (musicians) composed every single piece.